A Place for a Pig
How can we construct a Place for a Pig that will keep the pig safe from the wolf?
Design and build a model of a house from the given materials that will continue to stand when exposed to three tests.
The design constraints:
- You may choose any THREE types of available building materials.
- The pig must be able to get inside (for shelter)
- It must stay together when the hairdryer (the wolf huffing and puffing) blows on it (it can move, but it can’t fall apart).
- It must support 100g of weight on the top (the weight of the wolf on the roof).
The procedure: Follow the steps of the Engineering Design Process
- Ask— How can we construct a Place for a Pig that will keep the pig safe from the wolf?
- Imagine—Talk to your team about possible designs.
- Plan—Decide what materials, from the materials provided, will you use to create your solution.
- Create—Build your solution according to your team’s plan. Make alterations as needed.
- Improve—Based on the results of your testing, determine how your solution can be made better.
- Take your house to the testing station.
- Place your house at the testing line for testing.
- Assess results of testing and decide on next steps.
©2016 Erin Denniston, M.Ed District STEM Coordinator Orange County Schools, NC